A New Holiday Added to TUHSD: Election Day

During the board meeting on February 12th, the TUHSD Board take a holiday on the Arizona and United States general Election Day.

Eyananda Ahmed, Staff Writer

On February 12th, 2019 the Tolleson Union High School District Board voted to close districts schools and offices for the general Election Day, starting on November 3rd, 2020. Voters within the district now have the ability to vote anytime during November 3rd instead of standing in line for 2 hours after work or not voting at all. This change is suppose encourage employees and eligible students to vote for the next office holders in the United States.

Election Day will not be closed every year though; the new change is supposed close the first Tuesday of November every two years, accommodating the general Election Day in Arizona and in the United States. Starting from the year 2020, the district will follow this premise as a recognized district holiday.

The District has supported Civic Engagement resolution in the past, and encouraging and promoting voter registration is a product of it. The Governing Board wants to teach students to become active participants in their democracy as well.

This adaptation benefits the staff, eligible students and community members have time and access to voting, plus it will increase civic participation.

The 2020-2021 school calendar has now updated to accommodate these new changes.