Tolleson Boys Basketball Start off 2019 Strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaiden Fesler, Staff Writer

To start off 2019 the boys varsity basketball team have a 7 game stretch with only 2 games at home, up against 4 section teams and rivals. At this point of the season wins and overall performance are important for the Wolverines chances at the playoffs. The Wolverines Starting 5 at this point include, Kory Barnes(Senior), Davion Cotton(Junior), Juan Miranda(Senior), Shemar Wilson(Senior), and Jimmy Causey(Senior).

In the first game of 2019, the wolverines traveled to Valley Vista High School to face the monsoon. This game was a close and  hard fought game against a very good section team. The wolverines did not play their best game at all and struggled playing as a team on both offense and defense. The wolverines fell to the Monsoon , 56-51.

Next up was another road game, this time at Trevor Browne High School up against the Bruins. In a game that was back and forth and fought to the end, it was a great game for Shemar Wilson who made the game winning shot at the buzzer. The wolverines won, 47-45.

The next game was a very tough loss, traveling to Shadow Ridge High School to take on the Stallions, the Wolverines held the lead most of the game and towards the end of the game there were many questionable calls and no-calls by the refs as the wolverines lost, 60-53.

Next up was the first home game of 2019 which was another rivalry and section game and only home game along this 5 game stretch, this was a rivalry game which brought in many fans and had the stands pretty full as the Wolverines absolutely dominated the Aztecs the entire game and ended with a 30 point win, with the final score of 65-35.

Then was the first game against a talented team in the La joya Lobos, this was a very tough loss for the wolverines as it was a big rival, in this game the Lobos controlled the game the entire time as the wolverines continued to struggle in several ways. A main reason for the loss was lack of teamwork and also a bit of coaching issues. The wolverines lost 59-46.

Up next was the second match against the Westview Knights, in which the wolverines won a hard fought game against a good section team in the Westview Knights and with the leading scorer a senior, Juwan Higgins with 16 points,which was probably his breakout game of the season, the wolverines struggled late in the game allowing the Knights to knock down a few three-pointers, but they were able to hang on and get the win. The wolverines won, 58-49.

Next was the second matchup with the Monsoon of Valley Vista, in a big redemption game against the Valley Vista Monsoon as the Wolverines fell to the monsoon on the first game of this stretch of games. It was a high intense game which was back and forth all game until Senior,  Shemar Wilson took the game over and the wolverines pulled away playing great on both sides of the ball and Shemar Wilson finished with 17 points, 15 rebounds and 4 blocks.The wolverines won, 53-41.

In there last 7 games the wolverines have a record of 4-3.Some standout players in these 7 games that have stood out and brought some extra succes to the team are, junior Davion Cotton, Senior Shemar Wilson, and Senior Jimmy Causey. These players have brought the intensity and competitiveness that has shown to spread to the rest of the team, the teams record stands at 10-4 and they are 2-3 within the section. Over the final 7 games of the season the Wolverines will face some tough competition and important section opponents. Some of these opponents include rivals Westview and La Joya, and also the 11th ranked team in Arizona, the Cesar Chavez Champions. These games will be very important for the wolverines chances at the State playoffs.