Journey to the Super Bowl

Back to Article
Back to Article

Journey to the Super Bowl

Angelina Acero, Editor

Football is a national phenomenon that thousands of thousands people show up to fill in stadium seats every week. With over 111.3 million Americans tuning into the Super Bowl LII, it is obvious that this annual game is enjoyed by plenty. Leading up to Super Bowl LIII, there has been many games to determine what two teams will be playing on February 3rd in Atlanta, Georgia. The most recent games that were played was the AFC and NFC championships that were played on January 20th but, just two weeks ago eight teams competed in the divisional.

To start off the divisional, the Indianapolis Colts played the Kansas City Chiefs in Kansas City. To end the dry season of no playoffs, the Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Indianapolis Colts, 31-13. To also get a spot in the AFC championship game, the Los Angeles Chargers competed against the New England Patriots in Foxborough, Massachusetts. For their 13th AFC championship appearance, the New England Patriots won, 41-28, against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Competing to advance to the NFC championship was the Dallas Cowboys and Los Angeles Rams in Los Angeles. The dominant offensive team Los Angeles Rams defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 30-22. Competing for a chance to win the NFC championship as well was the Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints in New Orleans. Unfortunately, the previous super bowl champions, Philadelphia Eagles, could not hang on to their title as they were defeated by the New Orleans Saints, 20-14.

On January 20th, the NFC Championship game was held in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Los Angeles Rams competed against the New Orleans Saints in a nail biting game. The game went into overtime with the score at 23-23. In a game winning field goal, the Los Angeles Rams beat the New Orleans saints 26- 23. The Saints ended their season with a 13-3 record.

Moving on to the AFC Championship game that was held on the same day in Kansas City, the New England Patriots competed with the Kansas City Chiefs. In a highly intensive game, the game went into overtime which is the first time that both divisional games has ever gone into overtime. With a game winning touchdown the New England Patriots defeated the Kansas City Chiefs, 37-31. Unfortunately for the Chiefs, their season ended with a 12-4 record.

The Super Bowl LIII championship title will be battled for by the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots.

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

AriChella

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

Do You Have Anger? Well, I Have the Album for You

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

The Marathon Continues -Nipsey Hussle

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

Jonas Brothers Unite

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

WINTER ASSEMBLY 2018-2019

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

2019 Grammy Tributes

• Entertainment

Valentine’s Day on a Budget

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

Arizona Association of Student Councils Weekend

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

Puppy Bowl: Recap

• Journey to the Super Bowl

Entertainment

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

The Student News Site of University High School - AZ
Journey to the Super Bowl