Afternoon Snack Program

Recently, Tolleson Union High School created an after school snack program where students have a source of free food.

Eyananda Ahmed, Staff Writer

On December 10th, 2018, Tolleson High School added a free snack after school every tutoring day. The Tolleson Union District received a grant to give free food to kids who stay after school, such as athletes and tutor students. With this new program, it allows those students to have the opportunity to eat after school.

Dr. Ray Perkins, the assistant principal of athletics, says that students at the latest leave campus at 8 p.m., usually hungry. Students who participate in tutoring and after school activities leave campus to buy snacks and food which leads to a bigger probability of accidents happening off-campus. With the snack program, students don’t have to spend money nor leave campus to get something to eat. The school offers an Uncrustable Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly Sandwich, a juice-box and assorted fruit to available to every student, usually starting at 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Coaches and teachers send students out during this time period to take advantage of free food.

“Soccer students  are taking full advantage of it,” says Dr. Perkins, “The coaches let the students get food before practice starts, so they won’t get hungry later on.”

This new development has been a school-wide initiative, and based off the number of students participating, it is working. Students are staying on campus which means they stay safe. If the school never received this grant, students would not have this helpful snack program.