Filed under Entertainment, News

Valentine’s Day

Photographed By Fernanda Ruiz

Photographed By Fernanda Ruiz

Valentine’s Day has arrived in Tolleson! It is that day of the year again, when lovers, friends and family members demonstrate their love to one another. While roses and chocolates fill the air within this Tolleson community, the wonderful gestures of appreciation, butterflies and pounding hearts dominates over all the materialism.

Aside from the these exciting festivities, where does the story of St. Valentine truly derive from? Saint Valentine was a martyr that lived in the third century. An Emperor, Claudius II, was so obsessed in winning battles, that he believed being married was nothing more than a distraction. Therefore, he sought out to prohibit marriage for his soldiers so they could be more efficient in the battlefield.

Although, Valentine continued to marry couples in secret, behind the emperor’s back. Soon enough, Valentine acquired the title as the “patron of lovers”. Of course this illicit action would not go unnoticed and soon enough it arrived to the ears of the Emperor Claudius II who then ordered the execution of St. Valentine.

Valentine’s Day has evolved to today’s twenty-first century, although some traditions remain the same where people continue to commemorate this date with all sorts of activities. In recent interviews, I had the pleasure to hear some sweet and funny stories related to this day.

“When I was in 8th grade, I gave a bunch of chocolates to a girl in my class. Then, she started giving them away to the class because she said she didn’t like milk chocolate, she liked it with almonds! And the worst of all, she shared it to the whole class except me.” – Brian Dorantes

“When I was a little girl, my whole family would meet up together and we enjoyed of a giant Valentine’s day dinner and with the company of one another. ” -Mrs. Beanland-Kirk

The people within Tolleson have spoken and suggest that we should all express the love we have for others throughout the entire year and to limit the acts of kindness and love to one day. Love not only derives from the romance between two but also from the affection and appreciation of everyone that is surrounding. Rejoice and celebrate next to those special people because the chocolates are roses are merely temporary but the love that is given is forever.

Photographed By Jullianne Torres

• Valentine’s Day

Entertainment

Meet the Newest Members of the University High Staff!

• Valentine’s Day

News

Café Carts

• Valentine’s Day

Home

Tolleson Blood Drive

• Valentine’s Day

Home

Summer Journalism Programs

• Valentine’s Day

Home

Civic Leaders

• Valentine’s Day

Home

Charles A. Landis Thanksgiving Dinner

• Valentine’s Day

Entertainment

• Valentine’s Day

Tolleson Community

Locked Gates

• Valentine’s Day

Tolleson Community

FCCLA Water Drive For Hurricane Harvey

The Student News Site of University High School - AZ
Valentine’s Day