Summer Journalism Programs

The Walter Cronkite Summer Journalism Institute for high school students is a two-week experience in broadcast and digital journalism located in Downtown Phoenix. Students stay in Arizona State University’s Taylor Place with some of the highest performing students within Arizona and students from all over the nation. It will be held June 3-15, 2018.

All costs for tuition, residence hall fees, weekday meals and educational materials are covered by these generous sponsors: The Arizona Broadcasters Association and the Scripps Howard Foundation.”

— Cronkite Summer Journalism Institute

Submit your application by March 16, 2018 at https://cronkite.asu.edu/cronkite-summer-journalism-institute-application.

Students can also take part in the High School Digital Media Innovation Camp for those interested in media and technology at the Walter Cronkite School. This residential program will be held June 17-29, 2018 at ASU Taylor Place as well. The application deadline is April 6, 2018. https://cronkite.asu.edu/outreach/innovation-camp

Photographed By Irene Franco

Lastly, the Cronkite Sports Broadcast Boot Camp is a residential program in Downtown Phoenix. Students will be instructed by professionals who have experience in the field and students will be able to cover professional sports teams within Arizona. This program will be held from July 15-28, 2018 and the deadline to apply is April 1, 2018. There is a fee for this program but discounted rates are offered.

For more information visit: https://cronkite.asu.edu/outreach/cronkite-high-school-programs/broadcast-boot-camp

The Indiana University- Bloomington Journalism Institute for high school students hosted at The Media School will be held from July 9-13, 2018 in Bloomington, Indiana.

Photographed By Irene Franco

Students stay at IU’s Spruce Hall for five days to obtain an engaging experience in the journalism workshop of their choice. Workshops include, but are not limited to, reporting and writing, visual storytelling and sports journalism. Students attend lectures at Franklin Hall with guest speakers, renowned journalists and IU faculty to gain a deeper understanding of journalism on a universal scale.

Although there is a fee, there are grants and multicultural scholarships available to cover the cost.

Multicultural Scholarships

How to Apply

The Newseum Institute is available for high school juniors who have a strong desire to pursue a career in journalism. The 2018 Conference will be held in Washington, D.C. from June 16-21, 2018. The application deadline is February 1, 2018. This program is extremely competitive and only one student from each state is selected.

The Neubauer Family Adelante Summer Scholars program is held at the University of Chicago for high school juniors engaged in their Hispanic/Latino communities. Students gain a an excellent college experience, free of charge, while taking part in an English or biology Summer Session. Students will have the opportunity to attend lectures from experts in the morning and the evening to explore Chicago. This program covers all expenses for the entire three weeks and it is also completely free to apply! It will be held June 16-July 5, 2018 and the Priority deadline to apply is March 2, 2018.

For more information on requirements and description of classes to take visit: https://summer.uchicago.edu/programs/neubauer-family-adelante-summer-scholars

• Summer Journalism Programs

Home

Tolleson Blood Drive

• Summer Journalism Programs

Home

Civic Leaders

• Summer Journalism Programs

Home

Charles A. Landis Thanksgiving Dinner

• Summer Journalism Programs

Entertainment

Valentine’s Day

• Summer Journalism Programs

News

Café Carts

• Summer Journalism Programs

Home

Tolleson Blood Drive

• Summer Journalism Programs

Home

Civic Leaders

• Summer Journalism Programs

Home

Charles A. Landis Thanksgiving Dinner

• Summer Journalism Programs

Entertainment

Meet the Newest Members of the University High Staff!

• Summer Journalism Programs

Tolleson Community

Locked Gates

The Student News Site of University High School - AZ
Summer Journalism Programs